|aka||Type aka here, not up there|
|Production||produced from when to when+total units made (optional)|
|Body Style||how many doors+how many seats+what type of body|
|Length||length - type here|
|Width||Width - type here|
|Height||Height - type here|
|Wheelbase||wheelbase - type here|
|Weight||Weight - you get the point|
|Transmission||transmission + drive|
|Power|| N/A hp @ N/A rpm|
N/A lb-ft of torque @ N/A rpm
|Designer||Designer (lead designer if it was a team effort)|
The Volkswagen California is based on the T5 Multivan by Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles (VWCV). It is the first campervan designed and built in-house by VWCV Special Business Unit, a subsidiary of Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.
The "California" name was previously used by Volkswagen for the Westfalia-built campervans since 1988. Westfalia was the Official Manufacturer of motorhomes for VW. When the Westfalia company was bought by DaimlerChrysler in 2001, VW decided to build and design their own campervan range, based on the legendary Transporter range.
The California launched in August, 2003. In 2004 two design studies were presented at the Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf: California Beach and California Tramper. VWCV expanded the range in 2005 with the California (Multivan/Kombi) Beach, to bridge the gap between the Multivan/Kombi people carriers and the California.
At the 2007 Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf, VWCV launched the new California Beach with pop top bed, as seen in the of the California range.
See Autopedia's comprehensive Volkswagen California Review.
- The 2009 Frankfurt Motor Show will play host to the unveiling of a facelifted and minor repackage of the T5 family', including the Transporter, Caravelle, Multivan and California. Aesthetically, the facelift focuses on the front fascia, reshaped to bring it into line with Volkswagen's current corporate face. Other updates include a range of common rail TDI engines, new rear-light clusters, more aerodynamic side mirrors, touchscreen navigation, USB connectivity, updated ESP, 4MOTION AWD and a hill-start assist feature. Plus, a manual gearbox can be optioned. Speaking of the new turbo diesels, the 2.0 TDI can be selected with four different power outputs:
All the engines have a particle filter and all will be attached, standard, to a 7-speed DSG dual clutch gearbox (unless the aforementioned Manual is specified). 
Styles and Major OptionsEdit
VW California (Multivan/Kombi) BeachEdit
- ABS brakes
- Acceleration Slip Regulator (ASR) - a traction control system
- cruise control
- air conditioning
- power front windows
- heated doors and mirrors
- remote central locking
- CD player with 6 speakers
- alloy wheels with full size spares
- dimmable dashboard illumination
- storage netshere.
Bedding The "Good Night Package" comes with curtains, and the ability to fold the seats into a bed for two.
Indoor/outdoor features A folding table integrated within the sliding door is able to be used outside and inside with two folding chairs.
Combined with the rear seats, the front seats swivel 180 degrees, so you can have a meeting/meal/break with the rear seat passengers.
Other options California Beach now has the option of the elevating "pop top" aluminium roof, with bed space of 120x200cm in Germany.
VW California specs & featuresEdit
- satellite navigation system
- 3 Zone Climatic airconditioner
- alcantara and leather upholstery
- 6 disc CD changer
- single seat for living area
- parking sensors for front and rear
- rain sensing wipers
- auto dimming rear view mirror
- headlamp washers
- electric sliding door
- privacy glass for rear
- removable towbar
- 4motion four-wheel drive system
Bedding The California comes with an electro-hydraulically elevating aluminium roof with bed space of 120x200cm.
The rear seating in the California can be arranged to make lower level double bed measuring 200x114cm.
Kitchen The kitchen comprises a sink, a two burner gas cooktop powered by a 2.8 kg gas cylinder, a 42 litre compressor fridge, two kitchen storage cupboards with drawers integrated in the design are also standard.
Indoor/outdoor features A standard fitment twin water tanks both hold 30 litres of water, one for drinking water, the other for foul/waste water.
There is an optional 250 cm awning which mounts above the sliding door, and a foldaway table and two chairs are hidden in the tailgate hatch.
Add more fields as necessary.
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
Engine and TransmissionEdit
Specifications, details, graphs, pictures and other information regarding the powertrain is placed in this section.
Please make sure to write information of the vehicle's performance in a third-person point of view. This section should include information about the car's acceleration figures, handling, braking, etc.
If using information gathered from Road Test articles from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
Warranty options and scheduled maintenance information should be mentioned here.
This section should reference points on safety ratings and features of the vehicle.
Add Photos of the vehicle here.
Please make sure not to use copyrighted photos.
List the colors that the particular <MODEL> is offered in.
Create links to other <MAKE> <MODEL> pages in this section.
If there are hybrid versions of this vehicle manufactured, then please elaborate a little bit on it here.
This section should include information on the interior's design, build quality, ergonomics, space (head and legroom, front and rear), features, stowage compartments and overall comfort and livability. Add pictures wherever applicable and keep information in a third-person point of view.
Add more fields as necessary.
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
Please make sure to keep critiques in a third-person point of view. If using criticisms from a reputable automotive source, then please make sure to cite the quote.
Fill in as many as appropriate. Add more if necessary and pictures wherever applicable.
Please make sure NOT to use copyrighted pictures.
Current Generation: (YYYY–present)Edit
Fifth generation (YYYY–YYYY)Edit
Fourth generation (YYYY–YYYY)Edit
Third generation (YYYY–YYYY)Edit
Second generation (YYYY–YYYY)Edit
First Generation/Origins (YYYY–YYYY)Edit
If the vehicle is sold in other markets worldwide, then this is the section to mention that information. Also, mention if the <MODEL> goes by another name in these other markets.
Design quirks and odditiesEdit
Refer to any pop-culture tidbits about the vehicle in this section.
List out notable awards that the model has received while in production. Boldface the company or organization that gives out the award, and Italicize the name of the award.
- VW Germany's California Website
- VW UK's California Website
- VW Australia's Kombi Beach Website
- VW Australia's California Website
News and References
- 2010 VW Transporter, Caravelle, Mutlivan and California Facelift Officially Revealed
- Leaked: 2010 Volkswagen Transporter Facelift Photos
- New 2010 Volkswagen T5 Van facelift revealed
- VW Caravelle, California and Transporter get Golf nosejobs, head for Frankfurt
Enthusiast Sites and Discussion Forums
- Brick-Yard UK - Multivan & Transporter forums
- VWvortex Vans & Transporter forums
- Australian VWCV forum
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found