See Autopedia's comprehensive BMW 5 Series Review.
- BMW unveiled a new production hybrid model called the ActiveHybrid 5 Series. The vehicle, which is based on the 535i, combines BMW's turbocharged inline six-cylinder engine with a 55-horsepower electric motor and an eight-speed automatic transmission. A lithium-ion battery pack provides electricity storage. The system also produces around 335 horsepower and can propel the ActiveHybrid to 60 mph in around 5.7 seconds. 
- On December 17, 2010, a BMW 5 Series hybrid is seen on the roads of Munich. BMW may have plans of creating a hybrid version of the 5 Series in 2012.
- On July 2, 2010, BMW officially debuted the F10/F11 M Sport package on the internet after having leaked several days before.
- Exclusively for the Chinese market, BMW has created a long wheelbase version of the 5 Series. Adding 5.5 in (140 mm) to the rear legroom, total length is now up to 198 in (5039 mm) while the wheelbase itself now measures 122.4 in (3108 mm). Offered in 528 Li and 535 Li variants, both are powered by a choice of three straight-six gasoline engines mated to BMW's eight-speed automatic transmission. It goes without saying that the new found rear accommodations will come available with an array of optional extras including four-zone climate control, rear-seat entertainment, cooling box, electrically adjustable sunblinds and folding tray tables. The new 5-Series LWB will have its world premiere at the 2010 Auto China held in Beijing from April 25 to May 2. 
- The 5 Series was redesigned in 2003, at which time it received a whole new look. Since then, however, it has underone fewer cosmetic changes than it has mechanical changes. For 2006, the all wheel drive xi trims were added for the 525 and 530, and engines received a power upgrade.
The 2007 5 Series is available in 3 different styles: the 525, 530, and 550. The 525 and 530 models are available in two different trims, the i and xi, and the 530xi is also available in a Wagon body. The difference in the numbers in the 5 Series reflects the power of each model's engine. While the 525s are powered by 3.0L 215hp I-6 engine, the 530s come with a 3.0L 255hp I-6 and the 550 has a 4.8L 360hp V8.
Add more fields as necessary.
|528i||535i||535i xDrive||550i||550i xDrive||ActiveHybrid 5||M5|
Add more fields as necessary.
As seen on the FuelEconomy.gov website, the City/Highway MPG averages are as follows:
Engine and TransmissionEdit
Specifications, details, graphs, pictures and other information regarding the powertrain is placed in this section.
BMW m performance introduced the 3 turbo six cylinder diesel engine, which produces 545 lb-ft torque and 376 hp. The BMW m550d sedan will get from 0-100 in 4.7 seconds and the touring will do it in 4.9 which makes it only slightly slower than the BMW M5. BMW M Performance diesel
- RECALL ALERT: As part of a 29,250 unit recall which also affects the X5 4.8i and 650i, the MY 2007 550i is being called back to BMW dealerships for repairs. The problem is due to an engine cable malfunction that, according to the NHTSA, in conditions of below freezing temperatures combined with low humidity, has a possibility to produce electrostatic discharge at the fuel rails which will result in the electronic control unit (ECU) to fry and the engine to stall.
- RECALL ALERT: On August 13, 2008, BMW announced a recall affecting 200,000 MY 2006 3-series, MY 2004-2006 5-series cars and MY 2004-2006 X3s due to a faulty front passenger airbag sensor that could develop from small cracks within the seat detection mat. Though no one has reportedly been hurt, such a defect might stop the front passenger airbag from deploying in the event of an accident. 
Colors will vary, depending upon style and trim, and a full list of colors can be found at CarsDirect. Here is a partial list of some of the available exterior and interior combinations:
- Alpine White
- Deep Green Metallic
- Olive Green Metallic
- Jet Black
- Mystic Blue Metallic
- Titanium Gray Metallic
There was an experimental hybrid version of the e34 518i made in 1994. It comprised an unmodified 4-cylinder engine (an M10, as used in the popular e34 518i and e36 318i vehicles). Articles have been published showing the vehicle in full working order, using the smallest (4 cylinder) engine for the bodytype, a Constantly Variable Transmission and electric motor able to regeneratively recharge the batteries. This preceded the Toyota Prius by several years, and despite what the manufacturers say, shows just how easy it really would be to supplement gasoline powerplants in existing vehicles with E drive systems that would allow braking energy absorption and better stop start performance.
This document mentions the vehicle: BMW 518i Parallel-Hybrid (Benzinmotor, NiCd-Batterie, 26 kW-Asynchronmotor, 1730 kg, 182 km/h) 
It may also have been fitted with a NiMH battery. A similar prototype in a more compact e36 form was made 2 years earlier with a NiCl battery. In 1987 an e30 wagon and sedan were made with NaS batteries. The first electric BMW was made in 1972: BMW 1602 with a Pb (Lead-Acid) battery (and some were made in-between also).
In the F10 series, the car's wheelbase has been lengthened by 10 centimetres further increasing rear legroom.
According to Kelley Blue Book, "in terms of resale, the BMW 5 Series is one of the leaders in its class and truly stellar in comparison to the rest of the industry."
|Year X||Year X-2||Year X-3||Year X-4|
- "For the money, there are other cars on the market offering similar levels of luxury and, in some cases more interior space, although without all the complicated high-tech wizardry." - Kelley Blue Book
Sixth Generation (F10:2011-2016) Edit
BMW made engine and drivetrain changes derived from the new 7 Series including the twin-turbo 3.0 litre engine from the 335 models and the introduction of the 8 speed automatic transmission. The F10 retained the same 2.5L engine and the V8 remains reserved for the top-of-the-range model. The F10's exterior was designed by Jacek Frohlich under Adrian van Hooydonk.
Fifth Generation (E60/E61:2004-2010) Edit
The BMW E60 is the current BMW 5 Series. Its design and many of its advanced features initially received mixed reviews. The E60 represents a huge leap in technological advance over previous models. It is now regarded as one of BMWs finest and most innovative models.
Active Seat continuous passive motion available on the 7-Series is introduced as an option on the 5 Series for driver and front passenger seats.
It is available in both sedan and wagon versions and has the following models:
- 2004- 520d - 2.0 L (1995 cc) diesel I4, 120 kW (163 hp)
- 2003-2004 520i - 2.2 L (2171 cc) I6, 125 kW (170 hp)
- 2004- 523i - 2.5 L (2497 cc) I6, 130 kW (177 hp)
- 2003- 525i - 2.5 L (2497 cc) I6, 160 kW (215 hp DIN)
- 2003- 525d - 2.5 L (2497 cc) diesel I6, 130 kW (177 hp DIN)
- 2003- 530i - 3.0 L (2979 cc) I6, 190 kW (258 hp DIN)
- 2003- 530d - 3.0 L (2993 cc) diesel I6, 160 kW (218 hp DIN)
- 2004- 535d - 3.0 L (2993 cc) diesel I6, 200 kW (272 hp DIN) and 413 ft·lbf (560 N·m) (compression ratio: 16.5:1)
- 2003- 545i - 4.4 L (4398 cc) N62B44 V8, 245 kW (333 hp DIN)
- 2005- 550i - 4.8 L (4799 cc) BMW V8 V8, 270 kW (360 hp )
- 2004- M5 - 5.0 L (4999 cc) V10, 373 kW (500 hp)
All wheel drive is now an option on the 5 Series for the first time since the E34 in 1996. The xDrive system is shared with the X3 and X5. Models, following the company's naming scheme, will be the 525xi and 530xi.
Fourth Generation (E39:1996-2003) Edit
The BMW E39 was one of BMW's most successful cars, with several different models. These included:
- 1996–2000 520i - 2.2 L M52B20 I6, 150 hp (110 kW)
- 2000–2003 520i - 2.2 L M52B20 I6, 170 hp (127 kW)
- 1996–2000 523i - 2.5 L M52B25 I6, 170 hp (143 kW)
- 2000–2003 525i - 2.5 L M54B25 I6, 192 hp
- 1996–1999 528i - 2.8 L M52B28 I6
- 1999–2000 528i - 2.8 L M52B28 TU I6
- 2000–2003 530i - 3.0 L M54B30 I6, 231 hp (172 kW)
- 1998–2000 530d - 3.0 L M51 diesel I6, 184 hp (137 kW)
- 2000–2003 530d - 3.0 L M57B30 diesel I6, 193 hp (144 kW)
- 2000–2003 525d - 2.5 L M57B25 diesel I6
- 1996–2003 535i - 3.5 L M62B35 V8, 245 hp (183 kW)
- 1996–2003 540i - 4.4 L M62B44 V8, 286 hp (213 kW)
- 1998–2003 M5 - 4.9 L S62 V8, 400 hp (298 kW)
This car has been widely praised in all aspects; many say it is the best BMW in the world. Consumer Reports gave the 2001 530i its highest car rating ever. The diesel engines available in the European models provide great torque and smoothness with better economy. The M5 has been called "the ultimate in discreet speed" with 369 lb·ft (500 N·m) of torque and a 0–60 mph time of 5.2 s. The only downside was its smallish cabin and trunk space of 11.1 ft³ (314 L)
The very first E39 BMW 5 Series rolled off the assembly line on June 18, 1996.
Third Generation (E34:1989-1996) Edit
The fourth generation 5 Series earned awards for safety and reliability and was considered one of the most elegant shapes of its time.
- Higher compression than 520i non ECE)
Second Generation (E28:1982-1988) Edit
- See also BMW E28 for more information
The BMW E28 was the second BMW 5 Series and stylistically, was an evolution of the E12.
The following models were sold in Europe:
- 518/518i- 1.8 L M10B18
- 520i - 2.0 L M20B20 I6
- 524d - 2.4 L M21 diesel I6
- 524td - 2.4 L M21 turbodiesel I6
- 525i - 2.5 L M30B25 I6
- 525e - 2.7 L M20B27 I6
- 528i - 2.8 L M30B28 I6
- 530i - 3.0 L M30B30 I6
- 535i/M535i - 3.4 L M30B34 I6
- M5 - M88 I6, 286 DIN hp (210 kW)
- High performance 5 Series - 24-valve DOHC, I6, 6 throttle bodies, Bosch Motronic integrated fuel injection. At its launch in 1984, the European specification E28 M5 was the fastest production sedan in the world.
The following models were sold in America:
- Designed for fuel efficiency
- 533i - 3.2 L M30B33 I6, 182 hp (135 kW)
- High revving power
- 535i - 3.4 L M30B34 16, 182 hp (135 kW)
- A 533i bored to produce more torque and equal power
- 535is - 3.4 L M30B34 I6, 182 hp (135 kW)
- A 535i with a sport suspension interior modifications
- M5 - 3.4 L S38B35 I6, 256 hp (190 kW)
- High performance 5 Series - 24 valve DOHC, Straight-6, 6 throttle bodies, Bosch Motronic integrated fuel injection.
First Generation (E12:1972-1981) Edit
The BMW E12 was the first 5 Series BMW made. The following models were produced in this series:
The 5 Series got its name by being the fifth of the "new series" cars after the V-8 and Isetta era. The preceding models were the 700, the "New Class" 1500/1600/1800/1602/2002/1502, the "New Six" 2500/2800/Bavaria and the CS. The 5 Series was intended to replace the smaller New Class sedans, leaving the coupes as the company's low-end model.
The body was styled by Marcello Gandini, who also did the Fiat 132 and Alfa Romeo Alfetta, two other cars that have a very similar design.
There have been five generations of the 5 Series to date. To differentiate between them, they are referred to by their unique chassis numbers (EXX).
The 5 Series began the BMW tradition of being named with a three-digit number. The first digit (5 in this case) represents the model, and the following two digits (usually) represent the size of the engine in decilitres, which is the main distinguishing difference. Additional letters or words may be added to the end of the three-digit number to define the fuel type (petrol or diesel), engine or transmission details, and the body style. The 'i' originally stood for (fuel) 'injection'.
The UK police uses the BMW 530d Saloon and Touring as Interceptors as part of a four-year deal beginning late 2010. Other cars in the docket include the 330d Saloon and Touring, all variants of X1, X3 xDrive20d, X5 xDrive30d and xDrive40d. 
Design quirks and odditiesEdit
A silver BMW 5 Series has appeared in Eddie Murphy's Haunted Mansion.
In Chris Brown's music video clip No Air, featured American idol Jordin Sparks drives an E60 5 Series.
The E39 5 Series was on Car and Driver magazine's annual Ten Best list for six years straight, from its introduction in 1997 through 2002.
It was also Motor Trend's Import Car of the Year for 1997 and What Car? Executive Car of the Year 1997 through 2002.
The E60 was named "Best New Luxury / Prestige Car" in the 2006 Canadian Car of the Year awards. Active Seat continuous passive motion seating comfort technology recognized as one of the Best Inventions of 1998 by Popular Science magazine.
The E61 520d sedan won Top Gear Australia's Best Boss's Car for 2008.
In 2010, the 535i won Best Luxury Car Over $60,000 by Australian auto reviewer Drive.
In 2010, the 520d Touring won Family Car Of The Year by Top Gear.
|image (between 170-190 pixels)|
|BMW 5 SERIES|
|Karl Friedrich Rapp and Camillo Castiglioni||Corporate website||Independent|
News and References
- Geneva Preview: BMW 5-Series Special Edition Versions
- 5-Series sedan joins BMW’s armored Security division
- VIDEO: BMW teases new 5 Series sedan ahead of unveiling using amazing kinetic sculpture
- 2011 BMW 5-Series F10 Teaser Trailer Released
- 2011 BMW 5-Series Sedan Partially Revealed in Leaked Pictures
- 2011 BMW 5-Series: Full Set of Official Photos Leaked
- Officially Official: BMW unveils all-new 5 Series sedan
- VIDEOS: 2011 BMW 5-Series Sedan Presentation, Plus Driving Footage
- BMW ActiveHybrid5 Concept Photos Leak Out Ahead of Geneva Show
- Early Reveal for 2011 BMW 5-Series Touring: First Photos and Details
- BMW Officially Reveals the 5-Series Touring
- Officially Official: 2011 BMW 5 Series Touring
- BMW Announces Prices on 2011 5-Series, Up to $1,650 Lower than Previous Generation Model
- The Chinese Connection: 2011 BMW 5-Series Long Wheelbase Sedan
- 2011 BMW 5 Series Euro accessory catalog revealed
- BMW sets price on new 5-er; says no price too high for independence
- Officially Official: 2011 BMW 5 Series Touring is too cool for American families
- 2011 BMW 5 Series xDrive sedans start at $52,775
- Leaked: 2011 BMW 5 Series M-Sport Package
- M Sports Package for New BMW 5-Series Officially Revealed, Includes Suspension Upgrade
Enthusiast Sites and Discussion Forums
|This page uses some content from Wikipedia. The original article was at BMW 5 Series. The list of authors can be seen in the page history. As with Autopedia, the text of Wikipedia is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.|